Fertility Acupuncture for IVF/ICSI/IUI
Fertility Acupuncture is a non-invasive adjunctive treatment that can be used in preparation and during Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ARTs) to help support various reproductive functions. Fertility Acupuncture continues to get more attention as scientific research has demonstrated that it may help improve pregnancy rates and has a strong safety profile when used during In-Vitro-Fertilization (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic Injection (ICSI). Fertility Acupuncture can also be used to support Intrauterine Insemination (IUI).
How can Fertility Acupuncture benefit IVF/ICSI/IUI and Natural Cycles?
• Supporting Follicle Development: the use of fertility acupuncture can help support follicle development during the stimulation phase of treatment. Specific protocols are utilized during the stimulation period.
• Increasing Blood Circulation to the Uterus and Ovaries: the acupuncture techniques can help stimulate blood flow to the reproductive organs. This provides fresh nutrients and oxygens to the cells of the organs and helps support them in performing their necessary physiological functions. It may help support healthy uterine lining and support hormone production from the ovaries.
• Decreasing Uterine Muscle Spasms: Acupuncture may be beneficial in reducing hyperactivity and spasms of the muscular lining in the uterus. Decreased uterine spasms may be helpful in supporting the implantation of an embryo.
• Optimizing Hormone Production: The use of fertility acupuncture can help increase the production of specific hormone signals in the central nervous system and brain, which cause a downstream effect in the production of reproductive hormones from the ovary. This can support uterine lining, follicle development and growth, and decreased stress hormones.
4 Periods of Focus for Fertility Acupuncture during IVF and ICSI
• Prior to Starting IVF/ICSI/IUI or Natural Cycles: Acupuncture may be utilized to help promote hormonal balance
• Stimulation Phase of IVF/ICSI/IUI: Acupuncture during the stimulation phase can help support follicle/egg development
• Transfer Day Acupuncture: The use of Fertility Acupuncture before and after an embryo transfer (ideally performed the same day of the transfer) can help reduce uterine muscle spasms and improve blood flow to the uterus. Transfer day acupuncture may help improve pregnancy outcomes.
• Implantation Phase: The use of Fertility Acupuncture 3 days and 10 days after a transfer may help to promote blood flow to the uterus, reduce uterine spasms, and support implantation.